Monday, July 20, 2009

Club Mom


Did you know that there is like this secret society for moms? Well, if you are a mom then you know all about it. It's like, once you pop out a little one, you join this society of women that have come before you. And they are all waiting to pull you in. Even if you don't want to, once you have a child of your own, you find yourself doing it to new moms to be. What you might ask...giving advice and swapping pregnancy stories. For example, I have three friends right now that are pregnant, and I just can't seem to stop myself from comparing pregnancy experiences. Furthermore, I can't stop from having baby talk. It's like, I know there are people that could care less about my motherhood journey, yet, the baby is like a new toy that I just want to talk about- ALL THE TIME. And even if I don't want to talk about him, he still seems to dominate the conversation. Like, if I started out talking about shoes that I like for myself, I will eventually shift to talking about how the new baby shoes I've discovered for Donovan - See Kai Run - and how there are so many shoes that I want to order him for the fall. Or how those crazy dogs of mine have chewed up yet another pair of his sandals and completely pissed me off.

But back to the club examples. We went to the doctor today for him to get his first set of shots. A lady on the elevator began talking about the baby and asked if I was breastfeeding him. I told her yes, and she started telling me about a article in a pediatric journal that explains how nursing while getting shots eases stress levels in babies and how she would nurse her daughter at the same time she was getting her shots and she didn't even flinch. Or the couple of 3 1/2 year old twins that we met at navy pier that were reminiscing about when their kids were Donovan's age. We told them how we wanted twins and they promptly told us how we didn't, lol. But this mom club crosses over into our daily lives. It is no longer about us, but our children. And its all about the products we get for our children. See, when you are without children, you can spend $100 on a pair of shoes and show them off...now you spend that $100 on a a baby bjorn and you are in style. It's crazy. I've learned so much about baby products its a shame. I actually had someone tell me that there are only two real car seats that you can buy- a Peg Perego or a Britax. Everything else is uncivilized, lol. Now, if I had $400 to shell out for a car seat then sure, I'd buy a Britax, but that's just not in my budget. Nonetheless, its so crazy how once you join club mom, it is all about the kids, nothing is about you anymore, and the new way of showing off is through your kids and not yourself...and don't read this and act like you don't show off!

No comments: